Welcome to Music
Music at Key Stage 3 encourages students to express themselves creatively; it inspires students to critically analyse and produce music and thus increasing their self-confidence, levels of creativity and their sense of achievement. In music lessons, students are given the opportunity to perform, listen to, review and evaluate music across a wide range of styles and traditions with a particular focus on traditional Islamic Poetry and Modern Islamic Nasheed in a range of languages by including the works of the great composers and musicians.
Students also learn how to sing and perform by using their voices effectively, enabling them to compose music on their own and with others. They have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument and technology appropriately in the production of exceptional music.
At Madani, Music is part of the Faculty of Innovation and is offered to all students with Y7 and 8 with enrichment opportunities at Y9, 10 and 11.
In line with the National Curriculum students are taught to:
- Play and perform confidently in a range of solo and ensemble contexts using their voice, playing instruments musically, fluently and with accuracy and expression
- Improvise and compose; and extend and develop musical ideas by drawing on a range of musical structures, styles, genres and traditions
- Use staff and other relevant notations appropriately and accurately in a range of musical styles, genres and traditions
- Identify and use the inter-related dimensions of music expressively and with increasing sophistication, including use of tonalities, different types of scales and other musical devices
- Listen with increasing discrimination to a wide range of music from great composers and musicians
- Develop a deepening understanding of the music that they perform and to which they listen, and its history.
Students are assessed through their ability to evaluate and analyse the work of existing musicians and perform solo and as part of an ensemble though their ability to sing, use musical instruments and technology in the production of their music.
Music Map of Learning